Saturday, November 30, 2013

Roast Pumpkin and Whole Wheat Salad


When I started blogging, I honestly thought that it would be a little bit easier than it is. My goal from the beginning of this year was to put up two posts weekly.... doesn't seem like a lot right. But when it comes down to it, coming up with a recipe, photographing, editing and writing it up takes a lot of time and it always seems to be the first thing to get dropped off the list.

Don't worry, I am not giving up blogging as I still really enjoy it, but I would love your feedback! Do you care if I don't always get two posts up a week? Would you like me to share more food ideas from other bloggers on Facebook? And very importantly, what do you want me to write about (do you like the real food recipes and the recipe lists?).

Anyway, although I didn't post a recipe list earlier in the week, I do have a recipe for you. This was a salad that I made for myself to take to work. I am trying to eat my way through our pantry a little bit at the moment in preparation for moving out of the flat and came across some wheat berries/whole wheat (what you call them depends where you're from). Although pumpkin isn't quite in season at the moment it is still pretty cheap and I also had some lying about in the cupboard. Wanting to use these two things seemed like the perfect excuse to get a bit creative.

Although I used whole wheat for this I realise that it may be difficult for some of you to source and it definitely isn't suitable for those with a gluten or wheat intolerance. This recipe could easily be adapted to use couscous, bulgar wheat or buckwheat for you no gluten people. Cooking will just change slightly depending on what you use.

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat kernels/wheat berries
500g pumpkin, deseeded and peeled if you don't like eating the skin
2-3 spring onions, finely sliced in rounds
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp English mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Sea salt

The night or day before- In a small pot place the whole wheat kernels and cover with water. Leave to sock overnight or while you are at work/uni/out for the day.

Drain the water and add 3 cups fresh water. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain

If you are using another type of base ingredient, cook according to instructions.

In the meantime, cut the pumpkin into small cubes (about 1cm). Place in a roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for around 20 minutes until cooked through and beginning to brown.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, english mustard and apple cider vinegar. Toss together the whole wheat, roast pumpkin and dressing with a sprinkle of salt.

Keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...