Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Creamy Pumpkin and Chickpea Pasta


I'm into my second week of holidays now and feeling nice and relaxed! Only a few more days to go and while I am keen to get back to having a bit more of a schedule, to be honest I can't really be bothered with this semester. It's my last semester of undergraduate papers before I do my honours year and I feel like its really going to drag.

Pumpkins are so cheap at the moment! I picked up quite a large way for only $1.50 at the local farmer's market the other day. While I love pumpkin and love that I can get it so cheap, I do have a bit of an issue in that with only me and hungry male it can be difficult to use it all up. There is only so much pumpkin soup that one can eat.

With half a pumpkin to use up last week and a tin of chickpeas sitting around in the pantry, I came up with this pasta. This also made a great meat-free recipe. While hungry male didn't love it quite as much as I did (he isn't the biggest pumpkin fan), I definitely think that if you have a taste for pumpkin you should try this recipe.

Ingredients
500g pasta
3 cups pumpkin, cubed into 1 cm pieces
1 onion
1 tin chickpeas, drained and washed
1/4-1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk (This will depend on how thin you like the sauce)
1 cup starchy cooking water (from the pasta)
Parmesan

Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.

In the meantime, place the pumpkin in a single layer in a roasting dish, drizzle or spray with a little oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is very soft.

Heat a little oil in a fry pan and cook the onions until very soft. Add the pumpkin and chickpeas and mix well together. Using either a stick blender or blender, puree the pumpkin mixture with the starchy water and cream.

If you would like a very smooth sauce, strain through a mesh sieve. Toss the sauce and the pasta together and top generously with parmesan or another cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...