Friday, July 26, 2013

Better Made At Home- Chocolate Up and Go


I have said it before and you will likely hear me say it again. Breakfast would have to be my favourite meal of the day. I am not one of those people who can wait until morning tea or lunch to eat, I would get so haaaaaaangry!

NB. The googled definition of Hangry is when you become so hungry that your lack of food causes you to become angry. Hungry + Angry= Hangry.

Anyway, what is not to love about a good breakfast. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, bagels, eggs, porridge, smoothies, toast, peanut butter, oatmeal bakes, fruit, coffee, breakfast wraps, toasted sandwiches, cereal, overnight oats.... I could go on for days. Unfortunately I know how hard it can be to fit in a delicious and balanced breakfast! When I rushing around with wet hair, trying to throw some things in my bag for lunch, while I never miss breakfast, its not always the delicious and exciting creation that I want it to be.

There are heaps of convenience products on the market for these type of situations, but I haven't yet found one that I consider to be ideal. Maybe I'm just fussy, but I thought that really I could do better. That's why I thought that for one of my Better Made At Home series posts I could replicate one of these grab and go breakfasts.

The one that I chose was a product that we have in NZ called Up&Go (I don't know how many countries its in or what it might be called elsewhere). Essentially it is a milk drink product that boasts the benefits of 2 weetbix and milk in what tastes essentially like a milkshake. One of my issues is that along with the benefits of a wholegrain cereal and milk, it also has a bit of sugar and some pretty random ingredients like 'corn syrup solids'.

My version of Up and Go boasts the goodness of a bowl of porridge with milk, all without refined sugars and other ingredients that I couldn't buy from the supermarket.

NB. I do have 2 wee disclaimers about this. While it is a grab and go breakfast, it will require about 5 minutes of prep the night before (trust me its worth it). Secondly, this doesn't taste exactly like the Choc Ice Up and Go, so if you are obsessed with it you may be a little disappointed. If you just want a great tasting chocolate breakfast drink, get making it now!

Ingredients
3 dates
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
3 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 banana, chopped
1 cup milk

In a medium bowl, place the dates, rolled oats and water. Cook in the microwave or over the stove (in a pot) until oats are cooked.

Once cooked, add the banana, cocoa powder and milk, cover with glad wrap and leave in the fridge over night.

In the morning using a stick blender, blender or food processor, blend the mixture. Make sure that you have blended it very well or it will be lumpy.

Enjoy at home or on the run.

One of my usual grab and go breakfasts is peanut butter and banana toast. So easy!

What are your favourite grab and go breakfasts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...