Friday, June 14, 2013

Upside Down Pineapple Cake



I really enjoy having a shared dinner. You can have an amazing meal, but with much less time pressure as you only have to focus on one aspect. This week we had a shared dinner with the flatmates. Now I know that this sounds kind of strange as flatmates usually eat together and a shared meal isn't something different, but because our flat is made up of 2 couples, we just cook separately. This is partly due to differing tastes and cooking styles and partly due to much less hassle for me and Hungry Male just likes to take leftovers for his lunch the next day so I don't have to buy extras.

Anyway, for our shared dinner the flatmates had some wild pork leg (one goes hunting) and lots of vegetables to use up. As the savoury side of dinner was sorted it was up to me to do the sweet. I could have made one of any number of things, but then my flatmate told me that she had a pineapple to use up if I could think of anything to do with it. An upside pineapple cake was the first thing that came to my mind.

As I didn't have a tried and true recipe for this already, I looked up a few recipes. I came across this Nigella Lawson recipe that I liked the look of as it was really quick and easy to do. Throw everything into a food processor and you are done. I adapted a few ingredients and the amounts and voila, you have delicious, easy to make pineapple cake.

After a delicious roast we sat down to our cake and....... Hungry Male didn't like it. Oh well, you can't please everyone but 3 out of 4 were happy.

NB: I used a fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into rings because that is what I had. Tinned pineapple would be waaaaaaaay easier but fresh does work (just so you know)

Ingredients
6 rings tinned pineapple (should be a large tin), drained but juice reserved
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
150g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
150g butter, softened
150 g brown sugar
3 eggs
3Tbsp reserved pineapple juice or orange juice

Turn the oven to 200 degrees C. Place the first measure of butter in a 26cm cake tin and place in the oven for a few minutes.

Once the butter has melted, remove from the oven. Use a little of the melted butter to grease the rest of the tin.

Sprinkle the first measure of brown sugar over the top and then arrange the pineapple circles (I cut a few in to quarters for the gaps but you don't have to).

Place all of the other ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined. Using a rubber scraper, spread the mixture evenly over the pineapple.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover the tin with tinfoil.

Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then run a spatula around the edge of the cake to loosen the sides. Place a large plate upside down over the tin and then carefully holding the two together, flip them over to invert the cake.

Serve warm or cold by itself or with ice cream, yoghurt or cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...