Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Best Cream Scones ever!!!


I'm all done with exams!! I had my final exam this afternoon, so now it is just a case of waiting for results.  I have the next three weeks or so and I am planning some pretty ambitious baking projects. I will share them with you in my next recipe list.

We have a bit of a snow storm planned for Dunedin starting tonight and going through till tomorrow. If this happens like it says it will this will be quite a novelty as we have already had one good dumping of snow at the end if may. As I had recently injured my ankle, I couldn't really enjoy the last snow day (ok so I do become a little bit of a kid in snow as we don't get a proper snow fall that often) so I will be definitely be having some fun this time. I am also planning on making my sister some cookies that she requested for her birthday.

Anyway on to this recipe. During my study on Sunday morning I took a break to make these scones as I had a family lunch to take them to. I found the scone recipe in a school cookbook and as they were called Meola's Cream Cloud Scones I was definitely wanting to try them. This recipe is different to the scone recipes that I have made in the past as it uses straight cream instead of butter (this does make sense as butter is just churned cream).

Now I don't believe in counting calories for myself, but out of curiousity I thought I would input these into a calculator. They weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be coming out at 180 calories per scone (just in case you were interested).

The first time round I followed the recipe and used apricots and sultanas for the dried fruit component. They were absolutely delicious!! I loved the base recipe and was already thinking up lots of possible flavour combinations.

Initially I had planned lemon and pistachio ones, but when I went to buy pistachios they were $8.99 for 100g. There was absolutely no way I was paying that on my student budget so I had to rethink. While making something else I came across cranberries and white chocolate chips and had a wee lightbulb moment.

I am still dreaming of different flavour combinations (caramel and hazelnut sounds pretty dreamy but may have to be a dessert scone). I'll update this post of I do try any more.

Makes 12 scones

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cranberries (or apricots for variation)
1/4 white chocolate chips or drops (or sultanas for variation)
Zest 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups cream
1-2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.

In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the sugar, cranberries, lemon zest and white chocolate and stir well with a fork.

Add the cream and still using the fork mix to form a slightly sticky dough. If the mixture is not wet enough add some milk.

Once combined, with floured hands knead the mixture in the bowl for a few minutes or until it all comes together in a big ball. Brush the melted butter on to the top.

Flatten on a a floured board till about 2cm thick and roughly rectangular. Cut the rectangle into 12 pieces (3 by 4). Arrange the scones on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone mat.

Bake for 15-20 minute or until the tops are starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...