Monday, January 28, 2013

White Chocolate Cupcakes with Blueberry Lemon Frosting

Hi everyone. How is your week going? I have been working full time since mid-January, so coming up with food ideas and blogging about them has been a little more difficult. However, I have made it my aim to at least get 1 blog post up per week. Today I decided to share a treat recipe with you.


For Hungry Male's birthday I made a delicious White Chocolate and Passionfruit cake out of Cakes and Cookies by Gina Steer. About 2 weeks later it was Mum's birthday so I said that I would make her something. Hungry Male had just bought me the cutest cupcake moulds with feet, so I really wanted to make cupcakes.

I decided to use the white chocolate cake recipe from Hungry Male's Cake as the cupcake base. I then turned my thinking to the icing. Since it is Summer in NZ I thought that I would use some in season strawberries to make the icing, however, when I got to the supermarket the blueberries grabbed my attention. I also knew that I had a lemon at home so I decided to make blueberry lemon icing.

This combination went so well together and I will definitely make these cupcakes again.

Makes 18 medium sized cupcakes

Ingredients
125g white chocolate
125ml warm water
125g butter
225g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125ml sour cream
200g plain flour
75g self-raising flour

170g butter, softened
1 cup fresh blueberries
Approx. 3 cups icing sugar
Zest 1/2 lemon
Dash vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a heatproof bowl, gently melt the chocolate in a microwave.
3. Stir in the warm water and then leave to cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and caster sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Beat in the chocolate mixture, sour cream and flours.
7. Fill cupcake moulds about 3/4 full.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a testing stick comes out cleanly. Leave to cool
9. For the icing, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
10. In a blender, puree the blueberries, then strain through a sieve.
11. One at a time, beat in the puree, lemon zest and vanilla essence until well combined
12. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until icing is a thick consistency.
13. Pipe on to the cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...