Sunday, January 20, 2013

Apricot Rolled Pork


Happy New Year! Sorry about the long break but I had to get back into the swing of cooking and baking after the Christmas break so that I had some great recipes to bring to you. This first recipe is something that is quite simple but looks very effective.

I had some pork steaks sitting around and initially I planned to make stuffed pork steaks. However, when I went to try and make a pocket in the steak, the cutting didn't quite go as planned. To save the meal I kept cutting and instead rolled up the steak.

I served this with a salad and kumara (sweet potato) fries, however it would also be great with mash and steamed vegetables.

Ingredients
4 pork steaks
2 slices bread, processed into breadcrumbs
1/4 cup pesto of choice (I used a nice walnut one)
1 egg
2 Tbsp chopped, dried apricots
2 Tbsp apricot sauce
1 Tbsp hot water

1. Trim the pork steaks of any visible fat.
2. Holding the knife laterally, carefully cut the steak in half almost all of the way through (Don't cut all the way through!!!). Open steak up.
3. With a rolling pin bash the pork steak flat.
4. In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs, pesto, egg and dried apricots.
5. Place 1/4 of the breadcrumb mixture on the flattened steak.
6. Roll up and place in an oven-proof dish.
7. Repeat with the remaining steaks.
8. Mix the apricot sauce and water together in a small bowl and brush over the pork.
9. Bake at 180 degrees C. for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
10. Cut in half to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...