Sunday, December 23, 2012
Chocolate-Peppermint Meringue Kisses
This is my last Christmas recipe and my final recipe for the year as I am going away for Christmas.
These wee meringue kisses are a cute wee gift or something to have sitting in a bowl around Christmas time. They have a subtle peppermint flavour and I made mine both plain and dipped in chocolate. I will warn you this recipe made HEAPS! so you may be better off halving the mixture.
Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup dark chocolate
1. Place eggwhites in a large bowl and leave to sit for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C and line 2 large trays with baking paper.
3. Add salt, vinegar and peppermint extract to the egg whites and beat on a high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
4. While still beating, add the sugar 1 Tbsp at a time and beat until stiff peaks form (stand straight up).
5. Tranfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch star tip.
6. Pipe 1 inch kisses onto the baking tray, leaving space in between them.
7. Bake all of the kisses at the same time for 7 minutes, then turn of the oven and leave the kisses in the hot oven for a further 1 1/2 hours WITHOUT opening the door.
8. Remove gently from the baking paper.
9. Melt the chocolate and gently dip the bottom of the kisses in the chocolate.
10. Place back on the baking paper and leave to set.