Monday, November 12, 2012
Freezer-Slow Cooker Meal: Chicken Diablo
I apologise for the lack of posting lately, but now that semester 2 and exams are over, I should be able to post a lot more. Also my 21st party is this weekend, which I am busy making delicious treats for, and Christmas is only 6 weeks away (aargh!!) so I will be making HEAPS of food to take places and for gifts.
Here is one of the easy meals that I prepared for myself while I was busy studying exams, however is just great to have in the freezer for whenever you get busy. the beauty of this meal is that everything is bulk prepared when you have 1/2 and hour spare time. It then just sits in the freezer till you need it and your slow cooker does all the cooking for you.
If you are in a major rush, just serve it with some crusty bread, or if you have a bit more time its great served with mashed potatoes. I did try serving to hungry male with pasta but he said it didn't really work so try at your own risk :).
This is also a great budget recipe as you can bulk buy chicken drum sticks really cheaply. If you don't mind eating from chicken drumsticks just serve as is, but if you are like us and hate the hassle, the chicken just falls of the bone so you can remove the bones before serving.
(Makes 2 meals to serve 4 each)
2 large freezer bags
16 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt
Grinding black pepper
800g tinned chopped tomatoes
4 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp cider vinegar
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp mustard powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cups baby carrots
1. Place 1/2 of the flour, salt and pepper in each ziplock bag.
2. Place 8 drumsticks in each bag and shake until well coated.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the drumsticks until browned.
4. Place 8 drumsticks back in each bag.
5. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, then place half in each bag.
6. Leave to cool, then place in the freezer.
When wanting to use
1. Defrost the mixture fully.
2. Place in the slow cooker and cook on LOW for around 8 hours.