Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gingerbread Muesli

upload by simel516


Woops, its been so long since I posted. I got a little bit busy with my last set of assignments and then I went to Wellington over the weekend. I had so much fun and ate so much food! The highlight? Going to the dessert restaurant Strawberry Fare (Dessert actually was our main course) closely followed by delicious gelato from Kaffee Eis.

After all that indulgence, it is time to settle down into a good eating pattern for my exams coming up in the next few weeks.  This means lots of fresh food and veges and cutting right back on sugary and processed foods. I think that this recipes has a really good balance. It slightly sweet, with an awesome crunch to it, but as I made it myself, it isn't overly processed and there isn't too much sugar involved. Another bonus, it reminds me of my Grandma's gingrebread loaf.

Ingredients
1 cup wholegrain oats
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/3 cup dessicated coconut
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup slivered almonds

1. In a large bowl combine oats, wheatgerm, ginger and cinnamon.
2. In a separate bowl mix the honey, molasses and vanilla (you may need to melt them a little)
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
4. Spread out on  baking tray in a thin layer.
5. Bake at 150 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring the museli about every 3-4 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut and bake for another 5-10 minutes, stirring often until golden and beginning to crisp.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
8. Stir in the chocolate chips, cranberries and almonds and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...