Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Customisable Nachoes


As you can probably guess from my lack of posting I have been very busy recently. I have my first exam next week and my final internal presentation tomorrow, so I have been getting ready for those.

When I have busy times, such a exams, it is really easy just to reach for takeaways or packaged foods. The problem with that is that they don't always make me feel as good as fresh, nutrient-rich food does. It is for that reason that my posts over the next few weeks will be for quick and easy meals that provide great balance and nutrients.

Now you may think that nachos dont exactly sound like the healthiest option, but it is all about the approach you take to them. I only eat mine with a few corn chips, but I also love to eat them with baked tortillas for a lighter option.

I have labelled these nachos customisable because the idea with these is that you cook the base mince mixture and then let everyone layer their nachos up how they like them. I love to mix textures and flavours, whereas Hungry Male is a bit of a 'purist' so this way we are both happy and it saves time as you don't have to serve up the meals yourself.

Ingredients (mince mixture)
2 tsp olive oil
500g lean beef mince
2 Tbsp Mexican seasoning/ taco seasoning/ burrito seasoning
1 tin chilli beans (400g)
1 tin red kidney beans (300-400g), drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup water

Optionals
Cooked rice
Coleslaw
Chopped cherry tomatoes
Mashed avocado or guacamole
Salsa
Sour Cream
Grated cheese
Corn chips or tortillas

1. Heat the olive oil over a high heat and add the mince.
2. Cook the mince until browned then add the mexican spice.
3. Cook for a further minute.
4. Reduce the heat and add chilli beans, kidney beans, tomato paste and water.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
6. Serve with your choice of optional extras

(For mine I layered up rice, coleslaw, mince, salsa, sour cream and cherry tomatoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...