Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Migas


A few months ago I stayed with my sister down in Balclutha for a couple of days. While we were there we decided to go out for dinner and apparently the best place for this was a cute wee cafe that opened one or 2 nights a week with a different theme each night. The night we went was spanish night, so we could choose between paella or something called migas for the main.

Before that night I had never heard of Migas before, but it turns out it is a combination of eggs, beans, and tortillas. It was very tasty. About a month ago, I decided that I would have my own go, so I googled the recipe. Turns out there are about a million different ways to make this recipe, so in the end I took the basic ingredients and came up with my own version. I have no idea if this can actually be called a migas but in my mind that is what it is.

This recipe is very tasty, very quick to make and it gets bonus points as hungry male quite liked it (not an easy task). It makes a really great lazy Friday night dinner.

Serves 3-4 but can easily be doubed

Ingredients
1 onion finely diced
1/2 green capsicum finely diced
1-2 Tbsp mexican seasoning (Chilli, paprika, cumin and salt)
1 tin chilli beans
1/2 400g tin chopped tomatos
6 large eggs
6 tortillas

1. Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan.
2. Cook the onion and capsicum for around 5 minutes or until soft.
3. Add the mexican seasoning and cook for a minute longer.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and chilli beans.
5. In a bowl, beat the eggs and then add to the pan.
6. Stir gently as they set, the mixture will be slightly wetter than scrambled eggs.
7. Once the eggs are completely set, set to one side and keep warm.
8. Spray tortillas with a little oil and place them in a fry pan over a medium-high heat. Cook for about 1 minute each side or until starting to crisp and brown.
9. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges (This step can be done first).
10. Serve the migas with the tortilla wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...