Monday, August 27, 2012

Chunky Cut Lemon and Herb Fries



I'm back! And with a delicious recipe that I came up with last week. I'm normally a bit lazy when it comes to fries and just use a bag of frozen. However, I had a bag of potatoes from the farmer's market that were supposed to be ideal for fries.

A good homemade fry is like the ultimate comfort food and much much better for you than going to McD's or the nearest chip shop. You also get a nice crunchy chip without any of that deep fried greasiness.

So anyway, since I was going to the effort of making fries, I thought that I may as well make them interesting. Twiddling my thumbs and trying to decide what to do I spotted the lemon sitting in my fruit bowl. That was when I decided that since lemon zest and herbs make a nice crumb for meat etc, surely they would work for fries... and yes they did.

Ingredients
4 large potatoes, scrubbed
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp flour
Zest 1 lemon
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tsp salt
Few grinds black pepper

1. Slice the potatoes along the longest edge about 1cm thick, then take each potato round and slice into fries of desired thickness.
2. Place the sliced potato into a plastic bag (I use an old bread bag) and pour in the olive oil.
3. Toss the potatoes in the oil very well.
4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, lemon zest, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
5. Put the flour mixture in the bag and toss for about 2 minutes or until the fries are well coated.
6. Place in the oven at 180 degrees C for around 15-20 minutes (keep an eye on them as different potatoes may take more/less time).
7. Serve hot with your favorite sauce or by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...