Recently I have had three 21st birthdays in the last 2 weekends!! With all of these birthdays it was time to get my bake on. I love to give things I have made as presents. People know that I have put time and effort into their present, get something tasty and really seem to appreciate it. This year I have gone with a cupcake theme. So far I have made two types, some espresso cupcakes and these... banoffee cupcakes.
Think a beautiful moist banana cupcake, filled with caramel and topped with a caramel icing, I'm drooling remembering them....
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
115g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup yoghurt
2 large bananas, peeled and mashed
1/3 tin condensed milk caramel
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Condensed milk caramel
1 tsp caramel essence
Approx. 2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. and line 24 small cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients, set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the yoghurt and beat to combine.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients and beat on a low speed until well combined.
7. Fold in the mashed banana.
8. Place a tsp of batter into each cupcake liner.
9. Place a tsp of the caramel condensed milk on top.
10. Fill the liners almost to the top with the rest of the batter.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top springs back when gently pushed.
12. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
13. When cool, beat together the butter, caramel and caramel essence until smooth.
14. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition, until a thick icing has formed (When you lift the beaters out the peak should not collapse back into the icing).
15. Using a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle, pipe the icing on to the cupcakes.