Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Salad Jar Idea


Hi everyone. How is your week going? I'm feeling a little bit tired and I am definitely happy that tomorrow is Friday.

Because I was tired and had a bit of a headache, we took it a little bit easier tonight for our exercise and just went for a walk for around an hour. The warmer weather up here definitely makes getting outside for some exercise in the evenings or mornings nice, but not being used to it, the middle of the day is definitely too hot for me a lot of days.

Along with outdoor exercise, the warmer weather is also a great opportunity to pack heaps of veggies into your diet in the form of salads. I know that a lot of people aren't into the idea of salads for a meal as they are 'diet' food and not very satisfying. My belief is that, if you have this mindset, you just haven't tried the right salad. I make sure to pack mine full of protein and healthy fats and this way they are just as filling as a sandwich.

If you follow me on instagram (@libbysfood), you will now that this summer I have been very fond of my salad jars. They are a great way of transporting a salad, keeping the ingredients nice and fresh, and at the end of the day, I can just pop the jar in the dishwasher for easy clean up.

The trick with a salad jar is all about the layering:

  • Top Layers: Salad Leaves and Crispy bits. Basically all of the things that you don't want to go soggy, i.e. croutons.
  • Middle layers: Cheeses, nuts, tomatoes etc. In the middle layer go all of the things that can afford to get a little dressing on them if the jar tips over, but that you don't want to be drenched in dressing.
  • Second to bottom layer: Proteins and hard vegetables. These are the items that are going to absorb or be covered in dressing. Things like beans, chicken and carrots are great in this layer.
  • Bottom layer: In the bottom layer you put your dressing. 
When you go to eat it all you have to do is invert it into a bowl, or if you are short of a bowl, you can try to mix it up in the jar.

A salad jar to get you started...


  • Top Layer: Baby spinach and sprouts
  • Middle Layers: Cherry tomatoes, almonds and blueberries.
  • Bottom Layers: Avocado and feta (because I like it when it takes up some of the dressing), and of course in the very bottom was my dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, honey and a little sea salt.

I definitely suggest giving one of these a go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...