Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Healthy Mango and Raspberry Iceblocks



How great has the weather been lately?! Although I am in an airconditioned office for most of the day, it is so nice to be able to go for some great evening walks and we have been making the most of the beautiful weekends by going swimming and just generally enjoying the sunshine.

On the other side of the world, my sister has been bunkering down for the New York snow storm, which seems hard to imagine when you come home to a 35 degree (celcius) house.

In some ways I find summer great for healthy eating, as I can eat heaps of stone fruit and berries, and salads are the perfect, light lunch food. One area that makes it hard though is when you are hot and need something to cool down. I'm all for the occasional ice cream or sweetened iced coffee as a treat, however, having these every day unfortunately is not the recipe for healthy living.

So I did what I always do when I encounter these problems.....

I made my own healthier version!

These Iceblocks provide a great treat on a hot summer's day or when you need that after-dinner sweet treat. However, the benefit of these is that there are no refined sugar in them and you can get in some fruit at the same time. They are also so simple (if not a little messy) to make.

If you have kids or just love iceblocks, I would definitely recommend investing in your own moulds. You can pick them up from homewares stores pretty cheaply (I saw some at Mitre 10 Mega for about $5), and you will be using them all summer long.

We are down to our last 2 iceblocks and I will definitely make some more this weekend!

Enjoy x

Ingredients
1 can coconut cream
1 ripe mango
1 cup raspberries (I used frozen)
1/4 cup honey or rice malt syrup (use more or less to taste. The unfrozen mixture will need to taste sweeter than you would usually prefer)

Peel and dice the mango (there are some great YouTube videos to help with this).

Using a blender, food processor or whiz stick, blend together all of the ingredients.

Pour the mixture evenly into iceblock moulds, or if you don't have any you can also use plastic cups with popsicle sticks inserted into them.

Freeze overnight.

To remove from the moulds or cups, run under lukewarm water for a few seconds and they should just pull out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...