Thursday, July 11, 2013

Winter Cold Cure


We are getting to about half way through winter here in New Zealand and we have had some pretty freezing weather already! While it is not uncommon for us to get a little bit of snow in Dunedin we got a big dumping at the end of May rather than the usual July/August.

Anyway, I did manage to stay relatively healthy all throughout the first semester of uni, which was great as it allowed me to get through all of my assignments and exams with no issue there. I thought that I was also going to get through my 2 1/2 weeks of holidays in full health as well, but then with 3 days to go a massive cold hit! I was stuffy, had a sore throat and generally felt pretty grotty.

Some people may think me stupid, but I prefer to choose natural remedies over pharmaceutical ones. My theory behind this (whether correct or not) is that herbs etc. have been used for thousands of years so are a pretty tried and true thing. This time around I searched Pinterest for cold remedies and there were so many!! I read through some and there seemed to be a few common ingredients used. I combined a few of these together into a drink, as it was a great way to keep up my fluids.

Ingredients
1 apple
1 lemon
Large piece ginger
1 Tbsp honey (preferably manuka)
2 tsp cinnamon

Slice the apple into small pieces and the lemon into slices. Cut the ginger into small pieces and add them to a coffee plunger, tea pot or bowl with the honey and cinnamon.

Steep with boiling water and leave for 30 minutes to brew. Pour through a strainer and reheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...