Saturday, May 25, 2013

Deliciously Natural Banana Bread


Welcome to the first post of the new blog! After updating the blog, I created a Facebook page to make it easier to keep up with what's going on. Thank you so much to everyone who liked my page so far! You can find my Facebook page here.

I thought that since I had changed my blog to have a more real food focus, my first recipe should fit in with this. Everyone I know loves banana bread, but it is often full of white sugar. I decided that I wanted to have a go at getting rid of this refined sugar, while still having a delicious tasting banana bread.

I chose to use dates to sweeten this as dates create a really great caramel-like sweetness that lends itself really well to banana bread. While this may not be quite as sweet as some banana breads, I still really liked it and I thought that because it was slightly less sweet, it would make a really great breakfast on the go. I was also really impressed because this banana bread stayed moist for ages!

If you have a go at this banana bread, let me know how it goes!

Ingredients
1 cup dates
2 bananas
2 eggs
1/4 butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 cup white flour
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Turn the oven on the 180 degrees C. and line a loaf tin.

Place the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to sit for 10 minutes to soften, then drain.

Place the dates in the bowl of a food processor and whiz until they start to break up. Add the bananas, eggs, butter and milk and process until well mixed.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. If the flour is not combining, add some more milk to thin out the mixture.

Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and gently smooth out the top. Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. If the banana bread starts to brown too much on top, just place a little foil over the tin.

Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack.

This will stay moist for a couple of days. If you do have any left in a few days, it is also really great toasted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...