Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Food Mission

I was very excited about moving to a bigger flat this year, as I knew that it would have a heap more cupboard space and a bigger fridge. What I thought would happen is that I would be able to arrange everything nicely so that it was easy to find. What has actually happened is that I now just moe spread out chaos and food is getting lost.
(My super busy pantry. To be fair, this is shared with flatmates)

Don't get me wrong, some areas of the kitchen are fantastic! For example the cupboard by the oven has all of my herbs, spices, oils and cooking sauces arranged nicely. I also have neatly arranged tins for those random baking ingredients such as nuts and dried fruits.

My biggest issue is the fridge and its really starting to irk me! I really have an issue with wasting food. Whenever I have to throw out 1/2 a loaf of bread or mushy tomatos I actually feel quite guilty.... and then I think of the coffees that money could have bought me instead.

You see the fridge that we have this year is an older model and didn't come with any vegetable draws, so the veges have to live on one of the shelfs. Every week I go to the supermarket, buy lots of great fresh produce and go home feeling very virtuous. However, throughout he week, it gets pushed to the back of the fridge, or I can't think of anything nice and easy to do with it, or I have bought way more veges than I can eat and eventually that nice, fresh produce is soggy, mushy and horrible.

Perhaps my issue stems from the fact that I like variety (I struggle to eat the same breakfast 2 days in a row, let alone 3). Therefore, when I am shopping for veges I go for variety. I know that this is recommended and would work for a family of 4 or 5, but when there is just me and vege-fussy male, it doesn't work.

I have therefore set myself a challenge:

  1. I will buy 2 key vegetables a week: The focus for these vegetables is that they will be seasonal and inexpensive. I will also try to get 2 vegetables that go together well.
  2. Search for recipes or use my own inspiration to create 4 uses for these veggies.
  3. Blog about my experiences with you (It will help to hold me accountable and should be interesting for you)
  4. Try to include other things in the fridge that need used up i.e. coconut milk, cheese, sauces.

So this weeks super veggies are:

Broccolli and Cauliflower!

I decided that for the first week of my challenge I would go with 2 veggies that I know well and that go well together.

Check in at the end of the week to see the 4 things that I did with these

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...