Monday, March 4, 2013

Carrot and Courgette Muffins


This week, after a working break of about 3 months, it was time to start back at uni. I also decided it was time to get back into making myself some healthier snacks. Therefore, Saturday afternoon I had a big baking session. I began by making some energy bites, which I will post soon, as well as 2 types of muffins.

I made some blueberry muffins for hungry male as they are one of his favourite. While I did healthy these up a little, I wanted to make some muffins for myself that were a little more nutrient dense to get me through some study sessions. I had just been given a few courgettes from my parents garden, so I decided to come up with a carrot and courgette muffin.

Before you go an make these, I should give you a little bit of a warning. While these muffins are delicious, they are not your light and fluffy cafe style muffins. They are a bit denser than those, but I don't find that a bad thing. I have also reduced the amount of sugar in them by using a mashed up banana in the mix.

Ingredients
120g grated courgette
120g grated carrot
150g plain flour
100g wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 medium banana, mashed
2 eggs
1/4 cup fruit yoghurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

1. In a large bowl mix the grated carrot and courgette.
2. Sift over the flours, baking powder and cinnamon and mix to coat the carrot and courgette.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, mashed banana, eggs, yoghurt and milk.
4. Add the wet ingredients (and walnuts if using) to the dry and gently fold together until just mixed.
5. Place into 12 greased muffin pans and bake at 180 degrees C. for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...