Sunday, December 2, 2012
Spinach Chicken Rollatini
I can't believe that it is already December! It is time to start planning and baking lots and lots of nice treats for Christmas. It seems to be a bit of a family tradition that we give food as a part of our gifts for teachers and friends, so it is a busy time in our house. Not that I am complaining as the off cuts and extras soon find their way into my hands.
This recipe is not some Christmas treat, it is just a normal dinner for when you need a bit of a break from sugar. This chicken was delicious and is a great way to get in some extra veggies (even hungry male didn't mind the spinach. Its great served with a salad and some new potatoes in summer or with mash and steamed veg in winter.
2 large chicken breasts
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/8 cup finely grated parmesan
1 egg beaten
75g spinach (fresh or frozen) finely chopped
85g flavoured cottage cheese (I used garlic and chive)
1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
4 slices cheese
1. Cut the chicken in 1/2 horizontally to make 4 thin pieces.
2. In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan and in a separate bowl beat the egg.
3. Combine the cottage cheese and spinach.
4. Place 1/4 of the cheese/spinach mixture on the end of the chicken and roll up tightly.
5. Dip in the egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs.
6. Place in an ovenproof dish and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
7. Cover the chicken with the pasta sauce and place a slice of cheese on each piece of chicken.
8. Bake at 220 degrees C. for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.