Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sweet Potato Gnocchi


Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a small meal/side

I promised you this recipe a while ago, so here it is. I have tried a couple of gnocchi recipes before, but they have always been quite difficult, messy and sticky. Because I like gnocchi, I decided to give making it one more go. Sam Stern is one of the recipe writers whose recipes I always trust so I decided to give his Sweet Potato Gnocchi a go from his book "Get Cooking".

I'm so glad that I gave gnocchi a last chance as this was actually pretty easy and really yummy! I think I preferred it to normal potato gnocchi as it had a bit more flavour, however I want to keep experimenting with some ways to give it a bit more something.

Ingredients
 350g sweet potato/kumara in skin
Small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (Ginger haters do not exclude this!!!)
Salt and Pepper
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp finely grated parmesan
150g white flour
Olive oil
Favourite pasta sauce

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Wash the sweet potatoes. prick all over with a fork and then bake them in the oven for 40-60 minutes until tender.
3. Remove, slice in half and cool for 2 minutes.
4. Scoop out the flesh and put into a bowl.
5. Add the ginger, seasoning, egg yolk and parmesan.
6. Sift in the flour.
7. Mix together with a fork and fingers to make a soft, warm dough, but handle lightly!
8. On a lightly floured board, cut the dough into 4 pieces, cover 3 with a cloth.
9. Roll the first piece into a long, thin sausage. Cut into 10 pieces.
10. Cover and repeat.
11. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil.
12. Once boiling, carefully slip the gnocchi in with a spoon.
13. Boil until the gnocchi rise to the surface and then remove with a slotted spoon.
14. Tip into a bowl with a little olive oil and keep warm.
15. Serve with your favourite pasta sauce and some cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...