Thursday, March 1, 2012

Roast Beetroot Sub


I came up with this recipe last wee when I was having a particularly inspired foodie day. For some reason I really had a craving for a roast beetroot salad, so on my way home from uni I picked up some beetroot. I also got some really nice sweet onion cheddar on special.

At home with beetroot roasting away in the oven, I discovered some wholemeal baguette lurking in my freezer. I had originally just planned to add some croutons to my salad to make it a little more filling but then an idea popped into my head. Why not just cut out some work and put the salad into the baguette? After whipping up some balsamic dressing I sat down and thoroughly enjoyed this lunch.


Serves 1


Ingredients
1 small baguette or long roll (I used 1/3 of a long, wholemeal baguette)
1-2 small beetroot, washed and cut into 1cm cubes
Cheese of your choice (I used sweet onion cheddar but feta or goat's cheese would also be great)
1 Tbsp sour cream or greek yoghurt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salad leaves

1. Spray the beetroot with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
2. Roast at 180 degrees C. for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, slice open the baguette.
4. Fill with the salad leaves and cheese.
5. Once beetroot is roasted, add it to your sub.
6. Finally. mix together the sour cream/greek yoghurt and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
7. Drizzle over the top of the sub.
8. Eat now, or wrap it up for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...