Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jam Slice


I'm studying for exams at the moment, but thought that as I break I would bake something, so I started flicking through some food sites. This slice caught my attention as peanut butter would have to be one of my favourite foods!. The base recipe can from "First look, then cook" and being an American blog they were called peanut butter and jelly bars. I have tweaked the recipe very slighty as the peanut butter I had had added sugar, and I didn't want these to be too sweet. I also snuck a little bit of wholemeal flour in there but shh!

To make this recipe a bit cheaper I just used whatever peanut butter and jam was on special at the supermarket that day.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4cup peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
75g Butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup jam (Whatever flavour you like with peanut butter)
2/3 cup peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)

1. Preaheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a 20 x 20cm baking tin with foil. Spray the foil with non-stick baking spray.
2. Sift flours and baking powder into a small bowl.
3. In a medium size bowl beat butter, peanut butter and sugar until smooth.
4. Beat in the egg, vanilla and a spoonful of the flour mixture.
5. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined into a dough.
6. Shape half of the dough into a ball. Wrap in food wrap and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
7. With the other half of the dough, press it into the bottom of the tin until it is roughly flat and even.
8. Spread the base with the jam.
9. Take the dough ball out of the freezer and crumble it over the jam layer (A grater works well to do this).
10. Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden.
11.Cool the slice completely in the tin, then cut into 16 or so squares.

N.B. Next time I would put the base up the sides a bit as the jam stuck to the foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...