Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Japanese-style Chicken Rice Bowl


Just over two weeks until I move away from Dunedin! Eek! We have now found a great wee place to go to in Auckland, so really the last thing to do here is to get everything on to the moving truck next week and get ourselves up just after Christmas.

It's a little bittersweet at the moment as although I am very excited to be moving into the next stage of my life and starting my career, I am having a lot of lasts at the moment. Next week will be my last week at one of my jobs after 5 years of working there and today was my last singing lesson after learning off my teacher for 15 years!!

Oh and one pretty big bittersweet moment will come this Saturday when I graduate!! I have spent the last five years haunting Otago University and while I won't miss the stress, tears and missed weekends, I am still feeling quite sad to close that chapter of my life.

I'm growing up.


One thing that I'm hoping will only get better with my move to Auckland (and the increase in funds that will come from working full time) is the recipes that I can share with you. Today's recipe is something I created a few weeks ago.

Hungry Male and I love grabbing Japanese as a healthier fast food, and although Japanese is cheaper than a lot of options, it can still be made a lot cheaper at home.

So I did.

Ignore the slightly gluggy rice in the picture, I have since found a much better way of cooking it, but this makes a great Friday night or weekend meal that you can easily customise to everyone's tastes.

Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup sushi rice
1 packet sushi seasoning (I got mine from an Asian food store)

500g chicken breast, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
Good grinding pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a roasting dish with tin foil and place a wire rack inside of it.

Place the sushi rice in a colander and wash until the water runs clear. Place in a large pot and fill the pot with water until the water level is around 1cm above the rice (if you sit your finger on the rice the water should reach your first knuckle). Over a high heat, bring the water to the boil, stirring every 2 minutes or so, then turn the heat right down and put the lid on the pot.

When all of the water has disappeared (after around 6-8 minutes) the rice should be cooked, but just have a spoonful to check. Using a wooden spoon (not metal!) take the rice out of the pot and stir through the sushi seasoning and leave on the kitchen bench to cool.

In the mean time place the beaten egg in a flat bowl or container. In another flat container mix the flour, salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika.

Setting up a production line, coat the chicken in the egg and then thoroughly coat it in the flour mixture.

Place the chicken on the wire rack and give it a good spray of oil. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Serve on top of the rice drizzled with mayonnaise, BBQ sauce or sweet chilli sauce with some coleslaw on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...