Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Super Green Dressing



We are just coming into Autumn here in New Zealand and the weather seems to really be reflecting that! One day it will be a beautiful day full of sunshine and the next it is hailing.


My university studies are also getting into full swing. By full swing I mean I seem to have been given a lot of work straight away. With a combination of a very busy timetable and extremely changeable weather, I decided that it was time to clean up my eating a little bit to avoid getting sick and tired. I came up with 5 eating goals.


1. Up my vegetable intake- My fruit intake is already really good so I decided to focus on including lots of vegetables into my meals. My aim is for my dinner to have half a plate of vegetables.
2. Green tea or lemon water first thing every morning- Both green tea and hot water with lemon are supposed to have really good detoxifying effects on your liver. Very important to keep a clean liver in order to stay healthy.
3. Ground flax seed or chia seed every day- I don't eat a whole heap of fish so both ground flax seed and chia seeds are a really good way to include some more omega 3 into my diet (and cheaper than fresh fish). I have a coffee grinder dedicated to flax seeds but I seem to have gotten very slack at putting it on/in my meals.
4. 1 serving fish every week- Fish is really great for protein and nutrients. This will probably be in the form of tinned tuna or salmon as it is what I can afford. I may even become brave enough to give sardines a go... Anyone have any great recipes?
5. At least 2 bottles of water a day- I am aiming to drink 1.5 litres of water per day on top of other fluids i.e. green tea, juice. 


My hope is that if I can follow these goals I can keep myself in peak condition. I'll just have to wait and see how I go.


Anyway here is the recipe that I promised in yesterday's WIAW post. It combines superfood quinoa with some great vegetables and a pretty tasty green sauce.


Makes 2 servings


Ingredients
2 cups cooked quinoa (I cooked mine in my rice cooker)
1/4 small head broccoli
1/4 small head cauliflower
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup baby spinach
30g sharp cheddar cheese


1. Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets.
2. Spray with cooking spray and then roast in the oven at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender and the cauliflower is beginning to go golden.
3. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, whizz the yoghurt, baby spinach and cheddar until smooth.
4. Toss together the quinoa, roasted vegetables and cranberries, then drizzle with the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...