Monday, December 5, 2011
Christmas Present Idea- Sundried Tomato and Olive Pesto
If you are like me when Christmas comes along your wallet can start to seem quite empty. To save a little money homemade Christmas present are a great idea for friends, family members, teachers etc. Now I know that sometimes homemade gifts can seem cheap and pathetic, but if you put a little time and effort into them they will often get a better response than store bought presents. With homemade presents you have the ability to make something a bit different, often they will be practical gifts like edibles and often people really appreciate the effort that has gone into their present.
This pesto would be a great present given in a pretty wee jar. The red makes it really festive and it is also very tasty! Most of you when you think pesto will think of the green basil stuff, but apparently pesto pretty much means a sauce so you can have lots of different types. This pesto is great on crackers, or to give flavour to sandwiches or can be tossed into a pasta salad. Another way i love to use this is to top fish or chicken with some pesto and some grated cheese and then bake it.
This recipe will fill 3-4 small jars depending on the size of the jar.
1 1/2 cups sundried tomatoes
1 1/12 cups sunflower seeds
3/4 cup green olives, pitted
1. Place the sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds and olives into a food processor.
2. Process for around 2 minutes or until everything is finely chopped (I like me pesto a little chunky however you can process for longer until smooth)
3. Add a dash of oil if necessary to help smooth out the pesto.
4. Place the pesto into sterilised jars.
5. Keeps in the fridge for around 1 month