Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins



Before I get into the recipe just a quick update on my 200 list. I have currently made 37 recipes from it, the most recent being last nights Salmon Pasta Bake. So far I would say that I would make almost all of the recipes again, but there were a couple of duds.

After a busy couple of weeks I'm bake into my cooking groove, so much so that I had 3 recipes to choose from today, wholegrain beer bread, breakfast banana scramble and these muffins. After eating one of these yesterday I just had to share it. These muffins are inspired by a trend in the US, pumpkin spice lattes. Apparently they are huge in Starbucks, so these are like Starbucks in a muffin. All I know is that I like coffee, I like pumpkin pie and I love things with a streusel topping.

What I particularly liked about these muffins is that they weren't too sweet so are good for just an ordinary morning or afternoon tea and the coffee in them makes them perfect for these times too.

Just as a side note, I definitely think my food photography is improving. I had to put in several photos as I couldn't choose.

Ingredients
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/2 Tbsp espresso( I used a plunger grind)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 pumpkin puree (Well cooked, mashed pumpkin)
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple puree
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature

Streusel
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp rolled oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp espresso powder (Like a plunger grind)
2 Tbsp canola oil

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Grease 12 muffin tins
3. In a medium bowl combine the flours, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder and the spices.
4. With an electric mixer beat together pumpkin, sugars, apple puree and canola oil.
5. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
6. Add the dry mixture and fold in until just combined, don't overmix.
7. Spoon evenly into the muffin tins.
8. In a small bowl mix together the streusel ingredients until crumbly.
9. Evenly sprinkle the streusel mixture over the muffins.
10. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
11. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...