Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cheesy Marmite Scrolls


Let it snow! We've had the biggest cold snap in 16 years here in Dunedin. There is snow everywhere! The result, I am not even going to attempt to drive into uni since I value my car. Nope, I will stay inside nice and warm making hot chocolate and baking (once I have finished my uni work). If you are stuck inside like me, here is a great baking recipe best enjoyed fresh out of the oven.

I love a good scone and these ones make for an interesting morning or afternoon tea. While they look a bit fancier they really don't take that much longer than ordinary scones.  I used to get these from the supermarkets and absolutely loved them!! However as I am a money conscious student these are so much cheaper to make yourself
This is what the dough looked like before rolling it up.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
50g butter
3/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp marmite or vegemite
3/4 cup grated cheese

1. Mix flours baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Cut the buter into cubes and add to the flour mixture.
3. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the milk and stir with a fork. The mixture needs to be moist, but also needs to be able to be rolled out.
5. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is approximately 30x20cm.
6. In a separate bowl combine the marmite and cheese with a little hot water and mix thoroughly.
7. Spread the cheese mixture out over the dough.
8. Taking the longer edge, tightly roll up the dough.
9. Cut the roll into 8 pieces and place a flat edge down on the baking tray.
10. Brush the rolls with a little milk.
11. Bake at 180 degrees c for 12-15 minutes or until the scones are puffed and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...