I came up with this recipe using a few tricks learnt off Chocolate Covered Katie. The first was her volumous oatmeal trick, so tip number 1 for this recipe, it needs to be started the night before. I also used her melted banana trick to give the porridge a really nice natural sweetness.
Either fresh or frozen berries can be used, either are delicious. This breakfast makes a great start to a cold winters morning but would be great any time of the year.
1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup water
Handful fresh or frozen berries, defrosted if frozen
1.The night before, put the oats and water in a glass jug.
2. Cook the oats in the microwave until most of the water has been absorbed, but leaving a few centimetres excess.
3. Leave to sit for 5 minutes, then cover and refrigerate over night.
The oats will absorb the rest of the water and become beautifully fluffy.
1. The next morning, break the banana into big chunks and place in a bowl.
2. Microwave in 20 second bursts until the banana melts (It sounds strange, but it really does seem to melt).
3. Mix the berries and banana into the oats.
4. Microwave the oat mixture until heated through.